Mitt Romney claimed two days ago that we have a “Safety Net” for the very poor, and that, therefore, we don’t have to worry about them.
What a DISTORTION AND DELUSION OF THE TRUTH, as compared to the other DEVELOPED COUNTRIES in the world, we have the ABSOLUTE WORST “Safety Net” for the very poor in the developed world. It is not enough to say how fortunate our poor are as compared to Africa and parts of Asia and Latin America, AS THIS IS AMERICA Damn It! So it is safe to say that the Republican Party today views it to be a very fine example to use the Third World Countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America to be the litmus test as this country’s standards! What a Crock of Shit!! Anyone who wants to put the United States in parody with these third world countries of the world has lost site of where we once stood in comparison to the more developed countries’ of Europe as I would give as an example.
Here are the facts:
1. The official US poverty rate is 15.1 percent, and it does not include the millions of the middle class who have been impoverished by our “Current Great Recession” and its aftermath. With regards to the distribution of wealth among the population of the developed countries in the world, the United States ranks 24th among the industrial nations.
2. Today one out of five children lives in dire poverty in America, and if one is born into that background, the odds of escaping it are far less likely than for other children. When I hear members of my Party state that people from other countries come here for our “State of the Art Medical Care,” I present them with the facts that among the industrial nations of the world, the United States ranks second-to-last in infant mortality, having fewer infant deaths per thousand than only Latvia. Medicaid only covers the poorest children, of parents working at 63 percent of the poverty line, and 37 percent of non working parents. The new health care law would cover the gaps, but “Let Them Eat Cake Romney” even endorses repealing this little bit of advancement and progress coming up in standards set by the rest of the developed world.
3. Our Food Stamp program provides $1.44 per meal to each of its recipients.
4. Only one in four poor renters gets housing vouchers as assistance to pay the rent.
5. The true wealth of any nation is the educational base of its population and the United States has been cutting the Education Budget for over a decade. This cutting of investment in education is a short term benefit but with long term consequence collapse of this nation’s wealth. By the time our students are ready to leave high school to enter higher education and the labor force; they are doing so badly with science and math they are significantly weaker than their peers in other countries. Even our conceptual idea today of “advanced” is clearly below international standards. This, if nothing else, will relegate the future of our country to this “Third World Country” classification.
6. The much currently attacked “Supplemental Security Income” helps the impoverished elderly and disabled, but only 27 percent of this group receives such welfare assistance, while in 1996, 68% received such aid. Also under attack is our “Social Security Insurance” at its best only lifts those families to 75% of the poverty level.
Any person who wishes to be President should have the decency and the compassion to recognize that the “VERY POOR” are not well treated with the opportunities in a society which claims to believe in “Upward Mobility,” and that we MUST do better, and stop having my Republican Party filled with so called “Religious Conservative” people continue to condemn and deplore the poor, and not give a damn about their ability to survive and advance in society, with a sense of dignity!
This is a MORAL cause above all and my Republican Party today is proving it does not have many MORALS left within!